problem with ipfilter and todays -stable

Michael Handler handler at grendel.net
Fri Aug 13 13:10:27 PDT 2004

On 2004-08-13, Bernhard Valenti <bernhard.valenti at gmx.net> wrote:
> i just updated from 4.8 to 4.10-stable(from today). i noticed that i
> can't ping the machine. [...]

I just did the same upgrade last night, and am experiencing similar
troubles. ("block in quick log on dc0" isn't actually blocking
anything.) Someone on freebsd-net just noticed this as well:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2004-August/004675.html

Darren Reed MFCed IPFilter 3.4.35 in early July, and I don't think
that ipfilter was updated completely in both of the relevant places
(src/contrib/ipfilter and src/sys/contrib/ipfilter). If you diff
the files that exist in both locations, there are some troubling
differences, especially the missing member of the qif structure in
ip_compat.h, etc.

I'm seeing the same problem that the freebsd-net poster did:

root at lair:~# ipf -V
ipf: IP Filter: v3.4.31 (336)
Kernel: IP Filter: v3.4.35

That's with a fresh checkout of RELENG_4, and an empty /usr/obj.

I've sent an error report to Darren Reed.

--
michael handler
washington, dc