Just locked up a file system ... but not the system ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Thu Aug 12 07:04:11 PDT 2004

I have a server that is a wee bit on the loaded side right now, but still
functional ... there are currently 84 jail'd environments running on her

Its a Dual Xeon, 4G of RAM, and 6x72G drives in a RAID5 configuration ...

kernel/world is built as:

CFLAGS= -O -mpentium -pipe -g -DKVA_PAGES=512
COPTFLAGS= -O -mpentium -pipe -DKVA_PAGES=512

and the system is running:

4.10-STABLE FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #7: Sat Aug  7 20:47:34 ADT 2004

And has been up for 4 days:

neptune# uptime
10:50AM  up 4 days, 13:56, 11 users, load averages: 13.07, 21.89, 20.62

my first thought was vnodes, but that usually affects the whole system,
and looking at sysctl, I have plenty left:

kern.maxvnodes: 512000
kern.minvnodes: 61907
debug.sizeof.vnode: 168
debug.numvnodes: 439246
debug.wantfreevnodes: 25
debug.freevnodes: 298396

There are no errors that I can see in /var/log/messages to indicate a
problem with the system, at least for the past 6 hours or so ...

Up until about 30 minutes ago, I could do things on the file system itself
(/vm), but couldn't do anything within a directory on the file system
(/vm/323) ... then it 'widened' to affect anything I did on /vm ...

Looking at top, I see some processes in an 'inode' state, and looking at a
ps auxl listing, there are 47 processes in such a state right now ...

I have a tech going down to reboot the machine, since I can't leave it
down long ... is there something else that I should have looked at on
this?  Since there is no KVM/keyboard attached to this, and it wasn't
booted with one in it, I don't have any way of getting to the DDB and
trying to get a core :(

Based on what is left running after I've killed off all VM processes that
were killable, the 'inode' that its stuck on is the /vm/323 one, since the
processes for that VM are the only one currently running (and nfsd) :(

----