Reproducible FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE (Jul 7) , 3ware 7506-4 lockup.

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Mon Aug 9 19:09:23 PDT 2004

Jason Thomson said:
> (To recap,  I can reproduce the problem by dd'ing from the disk to
> /dev/null - when it hits a bad sector on the disk,  no further twe I/O
> takes place.  Contrary to a previous report,  it doesn't always seem to
> hit a bad sector in the same place).

There's a patch that made it into 4.10-RELEASE-p1 which says that it fixes
hangs on machines with 6xxx 3ware cards. I know you have a 7xxx card and that
your problem was a bit different, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. You
said you tried various versions of STABLE. Is it possible in any way that the
patch made it into 4.10-p1 but not STABLE?

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ERRATA/notices/FreeBSD-EN-04:01.twe.asc

> With respect to the drive compatibility list,  the drives we are using
> are not on the list,  but drives from the same range are:  The drives we
> have are 5A300J0 and 4A320J8 Maxtor drives - the Maxtor 4A300J0 is on
> the list.

Seems like every FreeBSD + 3ware problem lately, including my own, has
involved Maxtor disks. I wonder if there anything to that.

> BTW I did contact 3ware support, but heard nothing back - this may be
> because I submitted a too vague problem report.  I will try again,  if
> you think they might be able to help.

There's a fairly decent chance that they could tell you that the card is only
supported up to FreeBSD 4.9, as it says on their web page. Lets hope that
isn't truly the case.

Charles Ulrich