82541 Gi + device polling

Mipam mipam at ibb.net
Mon Aug 9 07:38:19 PDT 2004

Hi,

I saw that the 82541 GI intel card is supported:
dev/em/if_em_hw.h:#define E1000_DEV_ID_82541GI             0x1076
in 5.2.1
However, with lots of traffic, lots of interrupts are being generated and
so lots of cpu power is consumed. Device polling would be a nice way
around
this. However, in the machine which contains these cards, SMP is enabled,
cause its a hyperthreading machine. I saw that device polling is
not possible with smp enabled? And irq mitigation is also not included in
these cards, so the old interrupt problem is still present with the modern
card then? I think that the amount of interrupts consume more cpu, than
calculation of checksums. Maybe im wrong in this?
Any idea why intel quitted irq mitigation.
A combination of irq mitigation and checksum offloading would
really save cpu cycles.
Bye,

Mipam.