Can I maintain config files as a CVS branch w/o messing up mergemaster etc.?

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Thu Apr 29 18:14:10 PDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 01:34:15AM +0200, Joan Picanyol wrote:
> * Doug Lee <dgl at dlee.org> [20040429 23:59]:
> > Comments and ideas welcome.  Please Cc me if that's ok.
> /usr/ports/sysutils/etcmerge
>
> I don't use it (yet), but have thought about it. Please report back
> (even privately) on usage if it works for you.

Might try that...a good start on what I want I think.  I'd want to
manage /etc, /usr/local/etc, and maybe another place or two with
this, which I think is supported via multiple runs and
carefully-constructed command lines.  Only one thing still missing
in my book: No change history as in CVS, which would let me repeal
an errant update pretty painlessly.  I know most users might not want
a CVS repository hanging around, but I'd like it, both for the backup
and for semi-automated logging (cvs log) of admin changes to an entire
system.

Come to think of it, a CVS-based system might be adaptable to managing
a whole bunch of similar systems via branching and semi- or
fully-automatic merging among them.  I haven't thought long enough
about that to say more though.

--
Doug Lee           dgl at dlee.org        http://www.dlee.org
Bartimaeus Group   doug at bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com