4.9 SMP Stability?

Rick Updegrove dislists at updegrove.net
Wed Apr 28 18:33:58 PDT 2004

Morten A. Middelthon wrote:

> Now I let FreeBSD do this for me, that is setting maxusers to 0 and
> then
> _not_ defining NMBCLUSTERS, NSFBUFS etc. So far the machine has been
> completely stable. I've done one 'make -j4 buildworld', built several
> ports and moved a large filesystem to it over NFS, and no problems.

Ever since I built the GENERIC kernel and only enabled SMP and gdb (not
disabling anything ) this kernel has not crashed  : )

I did upgrade the firmware on the Integrated RAID controller at the same
time because I was simply out of troubleshooting time  : (

Well so far so good :) (uptime 3 days)

I did get this one stuck apache process (this machine is not even a web
server so I don't really care that much)

root at govmail ~ # ps wwwaux | grep httpd
www         344  0.0  3.1 24500 15884  ??  R    Thu07PM   0:37.99
/usr/local/sbin/httpd -DSSL

but when I tried to kill it with kill -9 it refused to die.  So I
rebooted the machine and it got stuck on power down waiting for the
second CPU to do "something" Sorry I didn't write it down.

So, I had to drive to the machine (an hour away) and manually reset it.

Anyway, it has been back up for 8 days, 8 hours, 14 minutes and I think
the worst is over.

I forgot to mention I have two of these Dell PowerEdge 440 boxes running
4.9-STABLE and they are doing just fine!
(Both high traffic web+ servers)

Kernel Version FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #0
Uptime 168 days, 15 hours, 48 minutes

Processors 2
Model Intel Pentium III Xeon
Chip MHz 864
PCI Devices aac0: Dell PERC 2/QC
ahc0: Adaptec aic7899 Ultra160 SCSI adapter
ahc1: Adaptec aic7899 Ultra160 SCSI adapter
ahc2: Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI adapter
bge0: Broadcom BCM5700 Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x7102
fxp0: Intel 82559 Pro/100 Ethernet
isab0: ServerWorks IB6566 PCI to ISA bridge
ohci0: OHCI (generic) USB controller
pci8: unknown card
pcib2: PCI to PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=0962)
IDE Devices none
SCSI Devices cd0: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:466 1.06

Rick

Thanks again to everyone on the list/team etc. and especially Kris K!!