Incredibly slow USB CompactFlash reader

Mark Knight markk at knigma.org
Wed Apr 28 03:28:17 PDT 2004

I posted a similar query back in September, but having just tried with
4.10-PRERELEASE, I thought it might be worth mentioning this again:

Throughput using a Belkin USB CompactFlash reader (with SanDisk 64MB
card installed) is reliable but *incredibly* slow:

>mkn at shrewd$ sudo dd if=/dev/da0s1c of=/dev/null bs=512 count=100
>100+0 records in
>100+0 records out
>51200 bytes transferred in 104.866992 secs (488 bytes/sec)

This doesn't seem consistent with:

>da0: <OEI-USB CompactFlash 5.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
>da0: 650KB/s transfers

Full diagnostics at:

   <http://www.knigma.org.uk/~mkn/usb.txt>

Should I bug it? Any suggestions gratefully received.
Mark A. R. Knight                               finger: markk at knigma.org
Tel: +44 7973 410732                            http://www.knigma.org/