Compaq 1850R freezing, controller issues?

Pete French petefrench at keithprowse.com
Wed Apr 28 03:12:27 PDT 2004

> Is there any tricks to setting up a newer controller with the RAID still
> in tact or did you just start from scratch with each newer controller? One

Compaq conttrollers store the config on the drives. You just plug in the
newer controller as a drop-in replacement for the old and it recognises
all the arrays automatically. Its very nifty.

As controllers I love them - they are very easy to use, the management software
is good and they are easily available on ebay :-) The only downside is that
persuading them to work in non-Compaq machines can be difficult (especially
with the later ones).

> of the options I'm considering is getting a newer SCSI controller, but I
> don't want to have to do a dump | restore on it if I can get around it.

You should be able to just plug a 3200 into the same slot, plug in the drives
and it will boot. This is what I did. Indeed I took two arraysfrom a pair
of SMART 2-SL's and plugged them into a single 3200.

If you want to go to a 4200 you need to check that your PCI bus supplies
3.3V as well as 5V. That caught me out and I had to get a newer machine as
the server.

-pcf.