Compaq 1850R freezing, controller issues?

Pete French petefrench at keithprowse.com
Tue Apr 27 09:32:29 PDT 2004

> FreeBSD uses the ida driver to interact with the RAID controller.

I've used this driver a lot on various bits of  Compaq hardware and it
has always worked excellently for me. Have had a pair of SMART 2-SL's,which
I then upgraded to a single 3200 and subsequently a 4200. All workfine.
I've been using various releases of FreeBSD-4 on them, latest being 4.9
obviously, and have never seen a problem with the ida driver.

> - What do I do to keep the freezes from happening?

I have, however, seen the "Freezing" thing on Compaq hardware, related to
a different controller. It only happened with SMP enabled. I would suggest
you try running them without SMP for a while and see if it still freezes.
In my case it was the sym0 on board SCSI controller, and eventually some
extra code was added to sym0 to catch lost interrupts and unfreeze the
machine.

-pcf.