vinum configuration broken

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 17 17:23:43 PDT 2004

On Saturday, 17 April 2004 at 21:30:36 +0200, Joan Picanyol i Puig wrote:
> [please honour Mail-Followup-To:]

This appears to be identical to the group reply addresses.  Am I
missing something?

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 04:15:45PM +0200, Joan Picanyol i Puig wrote:
>> During this afternoon I'll work on crafting a configuration file for all
>> this, should I do a resetconfig before applying it? In any case, I'll
>> definitely wish I can get a reassuring review of the config file before
>> I risk it :o
>
> I'm attaching what I think is the right configuration file to get vinum
> back to reason. However, I have some doubts:
>
> I'd really like if someone could reassure me before definitely screwing
> up everything, just to be able to not feel guilty twice (once for
> screwing it up, another time for _really_ screwing it up)

You've sent a lot of messages, but none of them contain the
information that is asked for in the man page or at the web site
(http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html).  I publish this link
at least once a week.  In particular, I want to see the history file.
In many cases where it's missing, it shows that somebody did something
wrong.

  Publishing your findings on the web as a maze
of links doesn't make it any easier.  Nor does a configuration file by
itself.  From the link mentioned above:

  What not to supply
  ------------------
  Please don't supply the following information unless I ask for it:

    * The output of the vinum printconfig command.
    * Your Vinum configuration file, unless your problem is that you
      can't start Vinum at all.

It takes a considerable amount of time looking at problems like this.
Don't make it more difficult than it has to be.

> Is this in your opinion the correct configuration file?

I don't know.

> In what state is vinum going to set everything up? Will it be in a
> consistent state?

I don't know.

> Should I do vinum resetconfig before vinum create?

Not unless you can show why you should do so.

Greg
--
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.