4.10-BETA named (not) starting

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at theworld.com
Thu Apr 15 13:28:06 PDT 2004

>Subject: Re: 4.10-BETA named (not) starting
>From: Randy Rowe <rerowe at rerowe.com>
>To: Kenneth W Cochran <kwc at theworld.com>
>Date: 15 Apr 2004 09:45:10 -0500
>
>On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 08:50, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>> >Subject: Re: 4.10-BETA named (not) starting
>> >From: Randy Rowe <rerowe at rerowe.com>
>> >To: Kenneth W Cochran <kwc at theworld.com>
>> >Cc: freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>> >Date: 15 Apr 2004 08:36:00 -0500

>> >Your /etc/rc.conf should contain the following 2 lines:
>> >
>> >named_enable="YES"               # Run named, the DNS server (or NO).
>>
>> Yes...
>>
>> >named_flags="-t /etc/namedb /etc/named.conf"
>>
>> This is what I have:
>> named_flags="-u bind -g bind -t /etc/namedb"
>
>The -t /etc/namedb does a chroot to /etc/namedb for the bind daemon.
>The /etc/named.conf after that states to use the file /etc/named.conf
>relative to the /etc/namedb directory in otherwords from the standard
>perspective the file /etc/namedb/etc/named.conf. The kernel is
>complaining at boot that the file /etc/namedb/etc/namedb/named.conf
>doesn't exist. Hope this helps.

Indeed...  Hmmm, somewhat like what happens if you don't
put a trailing "."  on a PTR record?  :)

Is this documented someplace?  I've run the above config
for ages with no problems.  Is this some kind of change
from BIND 8.3.4 -> 8.3.7 ?

I would have thought this change would be in some
kind or errata/release notes or maybe reflected in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf (?)

>> This has never been a problem before; shouldn't the config
>> file default to /etc/namedb/named.conf?  The message I'm
>> getting is coming from the *kernel*.  Wierd (so far...).
>>
>> >This assumes that the location of named.conf is
>> >/etc/named/etc/named.conf
>>
>> That would be /etc/named/named.conf  (spelling :)

Oops, & *I* misspelled it too...  That should be /etc/namedb/named.conf. :)

-kc