4.9 SMP Stability?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Apr 14 16:32:19 PDT 2004

>Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:23:30 -0700
>From: Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>
>To: Pete French <petefrench at keithprowse.com>
>Cc: dislists at updegrove.net
>Cc: freebsd-stable at www.freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: 4.9 SMP Stability?
>Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org

>On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:02:34AM +0100, Pete French wrote:
>> > I followed my "usual" method and  "make -j4 buildworld" got stuck here.
>>=20
>> Have you tried it without the '-j 4' ? I always thought that parallel
>> make didnt work too well building the OS (though thats fokelore going
>> back to 3.X so it may have been fixed)

>Should work fine.

And as evidence of that, I'll point out that I'm continuing to track
RELENG_4 (aka -STABLE) on a daily basis; the "make buildworld" on my
laptop uses -j6; the "make buildworld" on my SMP "build machine" uses
-j8 (I think -- it's definitely higher than 6).  [I'd actually go look,
but the SMP machine gets turned off after the daily build cycle, and
it's at home, while I'm at work.]

Ref:

g01fd(4.10-B)[1] uname -a
FreeBSD g01fd.david.egation.com 4.10-BETA FreeBSD 4.10-BETA #124: Wed Apr 14 06:24:44 PDT 2004     root at d146.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W  i386
g01fd(4.10-B)[2]

(And note that that's only #124 since I replaced the disk drive.  :-})

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I do not "unsubscribe" from email "services" to which I have not explicitly
subscribed.  Rather, I block spammers' access to SMTP servers I control,
and encourage others who are in a position to do so to do likewise.