lnc problem with 4.9 as guest in VMWare

André andre at netvision.com.br
Wed Apr 14 07:53:37 PDT 2004

  I've gotten a P4 1.5Ghz with Win Server 2003 and VMWare 4.5.1. As the
guest OS in VMWare I installed FreeBSD 4.9, and am using the GENERIC
kernel. The problem is that the network card does not appear in ifconfig.
  dmesg has the following to say about the network card in VMWare:

lnc0: <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adapter> port 0x1080-0x10ff irq 10 at device
17.0 on pci0
lnc0: driver is using old-style compatibility shims

but "ifconfig -a" does not show the lnc interface.
  What could cause FreeBSD to see the network card (as seen in the dmesg
output) but ifconfig not to show it?

  I'm downloading FreeBSD 4.10-BETA and 5.2.1 right now. I'll send
another email if any of those versions work.