Installing FreeBSD without sendmail

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Sat Apr 10 13:37:16 PDT 2004

On Apr 10, 2004, at 16:06, Joe Halpin wrote:

> Is it possible to install FreeBSD without sendmail? My machines are
> behind a NAT firewall and don't

No. A mailer is needed for various system functions (e.g., mailing of
cron results) and sendmail is currently the default one (though you can
install others from Ports).

> have a domain name. Every time I install I have to wait for sendmail
> to timeout looking for its domain name.

Look in /etc/defaults/rc.conf for settings on sendmail(8). If you want
to completely disable it set the following in /etc/rc.conf:

sendmail_enable="NONE"

See rc.conf(5) and rc.sendmail(5) for details.