FreeBSD 4.9 / Supermicro 7043P-8R / Crashes After 2-5 Minutes Of Uptime

Don Bowman don at sandvine.com
Tue Apr 6 20:31:30 PDT 2004

From: Doug White [mailto:dwhite at gumbysoft.com]
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Gustafson, Tim wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a brand spanking new Supermicro 7043P-8R server with
> dual Intel
> > 3.2gHZ Xeon processors and 4GB of Kingston memory.
> >
> > I installed FreeBSD 4.9 on the box and it gives me the
> following message on
> > the screen about 2-5 minutes after it finished booting:
> >
> > boot() called on CPU#0
>
> This means the machine is trying to reboot for some reason.
> Typically,
> its due to a panic.  You should get a lot more output with a
> message and a
> traceback, or if you have ddb compiled in, a db> prompt.
>
> If you aren't getting anything, try setting up serial console
> and log to
> another machine.
>
> > Is this a known issue with Supermicro Motherboards?  Does
> anyone have any
> > suggestions as to a potential patch or other fix?
> >
> > I'm going to start doing the hardware swapping thing in a
> bit and see if
> > that fixes anything, but I'd really like to hear back from
> anyone who has
> > any experience with this issue.
>
> Random panics are generally caused by bad memory, CPU cache,
> anod other
> hardware issues.

FYI, i'm using the same system. I would guesstimate that you
have a problem running out of ram (sounds silly, but yes) due
to the large amount of ram you have.

Here's what i have in mine, currently running 5.2
kern.maxswzone=16777216
kern.vm.kmem.size=314572800
kern.ipc.nmbclusters=16384
kern.ipc.nmbufs=65536
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1
net.inet.tcp.tcbhashsize=16384
kern.ipc.maxsockets=32768
kern.maxfiles=34000

but i have run 4.7 and releng_4 on it.

Definitely i would suggest running memtest86 on it for a bit [at
least 24 hours], but with the ECC, memory errors would have to
be gross to be noticeable.