FreeBSD 4.9 / Supermicro 7043P-8R / Crashes After 2-5 Minutes Of Uptime

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Tue Apr 6 20:07:22 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Gustafson, Tim wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a brand spanking new Supermicro 7043P-8R server with dual Intel
> 3.2gHZ Xeon processors and 4GB of Kingston memory.
>
> I installed FreeBSD 4.9 on the box and it gives me the following message on
> the screen about 2-5 minutes after it finished booting:
>
> boot() called on CPU#0

This means the machine is trying to reboot for some reason.  Typically,
its due to a panic.  You should get a lot more output with a message and a
traceback, or if you have ddb compiled in, a db> prompt.

If you aren't getting anything, try setting up serial console and log to
another machine.

> Is this a known issue with Supermicro Motherboards?  Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to a potential patch or other fix?
>
> I'm going to start doing the hardware swapping thing in a bit and see if
> that fixes anything, but I'd really like to hear back from anyone who has
> any experience with this issue.

Random panics are generally caused by bad memory, CPU cache, anod other
hardware issues.