Reboot Problem with 5.2.1

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 02:20:36 PDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 11:23:06PM -0700, Doug Hardie wrote:
> I am testing 5.2.1 in preperation for moving production servers
> eventually from 4.6 to 5.x.  Most of the issues I have figured out, but
> there is one that I cannot get to work - shutdown -r now.  Rebooting
> dies consistently.  With the GENERIC kernel I get the message:
>
> Rebooting...
> Keyboard reset did not work, attempting CPU shutdown
>
> In NOTES is a dexcription of BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET so I added that and
> rebuilt the kernel.  Now all I get is the Rebooting... line and nothing
> more.  Granted the system I am using for testing is not at all like the
> production hardware, but rebooting worked fine on 4.6 with this system.
>  I am very reluctant to convert any production systems unless I can be
> sure they can successfully be rebooted without having a person on-site.
>  These machines are all unattended and quite far away.  Is there a
> workaround for this issue?

The reboot functionality in 5.x depends largely on the ACPI layer, and
the performance of that depends very much on how well the hardware
conforms to the appropriate specifications.  Or in other words, it's
very difficult to draw conclusions about one system when you're testing
with a very different model.

If you can arrange it, perhaps trying to boot one of your production
servers off a 5.x recovery or FreesBIE disk to see how well it copes
would be a good move.

The whole ACPI area is problematic on certain hardware -- eventually
there will be fixes and workarounds to the most common kit.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way