FreeBSD 4.9 RC1 (i386) now available

Chris Pepper pepper at reppep.com
Tue Sep 30 21:29:21 PDT 2003

At 5:15 PM -0400 2003/09/30, Vivek Khera wrote:
>  >>>>> "CP" == Chris Pepper <pepper at reppep.com> writes:
>
>CP>	I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.8's Terminal.app, which claims to be
>CP> vt100, through minicom. The bad display is probably Terminal.app's
>CP> fault -- I'll try through an (Apple) xterm next -- but I was very
>CP> surprised that arrow keys wouldn't work in ANSI mode.
>
>I find that the Terminal.app emulation is pretty poor.  The latest
>failing is when running the imcom program (command line Jabber
>client).  It totally botches the curses display.
>
>I have used the iTerm application, but it has its own set of
>issues... at least the terminal emulation is better.

	Apple's Jaguar xterm (from XFree86) is better, but still not
perfect. Biggest problem there is that the disklabel editor uses some
font styling that doesn't show up in xterm, so I had to guess at
which line I was on, and see if I'd gotten the mountpoints right
afterwards, but before continuing...

	The weirdest thing is that switching my USB KVM (away from)
the system crashed minicom (running in an xterm on my Mac) *twice*,
and I was unable to 'pick up' the installation -- just lots of
overlapping odd characters in the last column of the display -- so I
had to start over a couple times.

	Not the weirdest, but the more serious thing, is that after
the install completed, FreeBSD booted again, and died:

>Booting [kernel]...
>root device disk0s4a: invalid
>

>Type '?' for a list of commands ...

	lsdev showed my disk2 properly, and I was able to unload, set
currdev, and boot successfully. When I next rebooted, BootEasy
defaulted to F1 (DOS -- FreeBSD is F2). When I hit F2, FreeBSD booted
correctly (sending console output to the serial port). After this,
both F1 and F2 worked correctly.

						Chris
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>