panics on 24 hour boundaries

Michael W. Oliver michael at gargantuan.com
Tue Sep 30 20:19:56 PDT 2003

+--- On Tuesday, September 30, 2003 22:35 ---
| Robert Watson proclaimed:
|
| Initial reactions: panics on 24 hour boundaries are, in my experience,
| often associated with the daily event.  Once a day, the daily scripts run
| find several times on your file systems, causing every file and directory
| to be inspected for changes in setuid scripts, etc.  This can trigger
| certain classes of race conditions and resource limits that you might
| otherwise not hit in normal operation -- and conviently, they run 24
| hours apart :-).  To try and confirm this suspicion, it would be
| interesting to know what time of day exactly the panics take place, and
| whether you can reproduce the panic by manually running the daily or
| security script.

All of the panics happened in the evening hours, between 1800 and 2200 EDT.
I am also able to successfully run the daily periodic scripts at any time
of the day without issue.

| Also, out of curiosity: since you're experiencing crashes, I assume fsck
| has run on all your file systems.  If not, you might want to boot to
| single user and run fsck on each file system manually to make sure
| there's no on-disk corruption of UFS meta-data.

Yep, fsck has been run after each hostile reboot, and I did a full fsck from
single user mode before installing the world on the evening of 2003-09-28.

As of this writing, the server has been up for 1 day, 2:22.  Should another
panic occur, I will perform a trace as before and post it out to stable at .

Thanks for your reply Robert, I do appreciate it.

--
Mike
perl -e 'print unpack("u","88V]N=&%C=\"!I;F9O(&EN(&AE861E<G,*");'