IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK & No route to host

echelon e_chelon at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 04:23:26 PDT 2003

Ok, may be this is fine to get "No route to host" when ping 127.0.0.1/ localhost if
IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK option is set.

However, I use the following rules for the internal network interface (xl1)

# Group 9000 (internal network interface)
block return-rst in log quick on xl1 proto tcp from any to 192.168.x.x/32 port = 23 group 9000
block return-rst in log quick on xl1 proto tcp from any to 192.168.x.x/32 port = 21 group 9000
pass in quick on xl1 all group 9000

With these rules, I believe I should able to ping and SSH the freebsd box from my internal network
no matter the option IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK is set or not.

However, this is true only if the IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK option is removed.

The same rules were used with IPFilter 3.4.18 on FreeBSD 4.2 and no such problem was
encountered.

Thanks.

e_chelon