4.9-RC and bge

Helge Oldach helge.oldach at atosorigin.com
Tue Sep 30 02:03:58 PDT 2003

Damon Anton Permezel:
>Recent SUP.
>Installed on Dell PowerEdge 4600.
>Getting tons of:
>
>Sep 30 12:23:16 zige /kernel: bge0: gigabit link up
>Sep 30 12:23:46 zige last message repeated 98 times
>

>Also getting some TCP retransmits.  This causes noticable delays in
>pretty much everything I do now.  Not a problem prior to the SUP.
>I was on 4.8-STABLE before.
>
>When pulling/replacing cables, it went into a mode where it would
>drop link, renegotiate, drop link, reneg, ... for a few minutes and
>then it stopped.  Had to power cycle machine to recover.

I am using a Dell 2650 whose bge identifies as:

bge0: <Broadcom BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x105> mem 0xfcf10000-0xfcf1ffff irq 11 at device 6.0 on pci3
bge1: <Broadcom BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x105> mem 0xfcf00000-0xfcf0ffff irq 13 at device 8.0 on pci3

I acknowledge that I have seen many of the "gigabit link up" messages
formerly, but they disappeared some weeks ago. They definitely don't
show up with a recent kernel (built just after the sendmail commits last
week).

I don't see tcp retransmits either (total of 29, to be precise :-)).

Maybe you are still using an older kernel, or there is something broken
with your network infrastructure? I am running with the bge's connected
to different Cisco switches (4507R and 3550).

And yes, this is a heavy traffic system.

Helge