pcm0 freezes computer with recent -STABLE

Jorge Aldana jorge at salk.edu
Mon Sep 29 19:46:21 PDT 2003

>From the previous posts and replies, one fix or workaround is to reassign your
soundcards IRQ and re-boot, it worked for me on the first reassignment, my code
also was from the 28th, code right after the 2nd Arp patch notice. If the cvsup
worked let us know.

Here's some of the notes from the other thread:

---------------------------------------

From: Patrick C <patrick at filespanker.com>
Subject: Re: psm0 lockup on boot (FreeBSD 4.9 PreRelease #2)

> I lost the previous thread on the psm0 lock but also wanted to report that
> after cvsup-ing for the arp patch and rebuilding that the lockup still
> occurs, any leads on a fix/workaround? (Besides removing psm0 or disabling
> the sound card).

I had the same problem where my kernel would lock up until I changed the
soundcard PCI slot -- as well as my network card -- and assigned irqs to each
of those slots and my video card. This appears to be because of irq
conflicts. Here's what I found this in the LINT file:

# Note: It has been reported that ISA DMA with the SoundBlaster will
# lock up the machine (PR docs/5358).  If this happens to you,
# turning off USWC write posting in your machine's BIOS may fix
# the problem.