4.9 Boot Hang when USB Devices Attached

Joe Kelsey joek at mail.flyingcroc.net
Fri Sep 26 12:39:53 PDT 2003

Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Friday 26 September 2003 12:06 pm, Joe Kelsey wrote:
>
>>Brandon Fosdick wrote:

>>>There are several threads discussing this ATM. If you have an
>>>nforce2 board search for the thread with the subject
>>>"fix/workaround for usb probe lockups on nForce2 mbs". Andrew
>>>Atrens posted a patch that worked for me. In the same thread Ian
>>>Dowse has offered a few other ideas to try. I haven't tried them
>>>yet.
>>I have an ASUS A7S333 which does *not* have an nforce2 chipset.
> Mine doesn't either and the fact it dies in the boot -s phase of
> updating the system is a verification of the reason to boot to single
> user mode. I have tried unplugging the USB devices and it will finish
> the boot. I won't, however, finish the installworld.

boot -s hangs just like normal boot unless I unplug the mouse.  After
boot -s with ums unplugged, I can fsck if necessary and then mount-a,
installworld, etc. with no problems.  I can even plug in the mouse, not
that it helps because I still have to unplug it when I repoot after
mergemaster.

I have never experienced a panic or other crash related to USB devices.
  Only the boot lockup.

/Joe