Booting a 4.9 Beta CD on a USB CD/RW?

Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. bsder at allcaps.org
Thu Sep 25 17:09:49 PDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:
>
> > Can anyone give me some pointers about how to boot a 4.9 Beta CD on a USB
> > CD/RW?  Or, at the very least, tell me that it doesn't work and that I
> > should quit trying.
>
> This involves having BIOS support to boot USB, and Int13 emulation of USB
> I/O so loader can do its work. Looks like your system doesn't provide
> this.

Well, the BIOS certainly supports CD booting because I can boot RedHat 9.0
flawlessly from the USB CD/RW.

I can't answer about the Int13 emulation, as I have no idea what Linux
does in its boot sequence.  However, either the BIOS supports Int13 and
FreeBSD has a bug, or they figured out a different solution.

-a