Mail blocking (was: I've had enough. I'm starting a DNS blackhole list.)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 24 21:05:40 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, 24 September 2003 at 21:17:26 -0400, Drew Derbyshire wrote:
>> [missing context]
>
> Seems like a lot of work with way too much room for false positives.
>
> Why aren't you running a content filter on executable attachments so they
> get bounced and you never see them?

One reason would be that the traffic is expensive.  I'm on a 2
GB/month plan, after which I pay significantly higher charges.  I'm
currently getting 50 to 60 MB a day just of this mail crap.  Yes, it
all gets dropped (just dropping .exe attachments does it), but that
doesn't stop the traffic.

Greg