USB hangs during boot of 4.9

Brandon Fosdick bfoz at terrandev.com
Mon Sep 22 19:43:45 PDT 2003

Paul Horechuk wrote:
> I had been running a stable 4.9 prerelease and evrything was working
> fine. During some playing with X and DRI vs GFX, I was prompted to add
> USER_LDT as an option to the kernel. This I did and did a new cvsup to
> the code as of 9-21-03. The makeworld process left me with a system
> that now hangs after the normal resetting of the usb hub. To get by
> this during boot, I have to disable USB in BIOS. Of course I no longer
> have a mouse, now.
>
> Did I miss any USB alerts?

I updated on the same day and am having the same problem. Disconnecting
USB devices during boot gets around the problem, but is somewhat annoying.

Since you mentioned having USER_LDT in your kernel and I have it too I
tried taking it out and recompiling without updating the source code. No
luck, it still hangs at the usb probe.

I have an MS Natural Keyboard and MS Intellimouse Explorer as my only
USB devices and I'm dual booting W2K using the W2K boot menu. Here is
the point that it hangs:

pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x10de, dev=0x0064) at 1.1 irq 5
ohci0: <OHCI (generic) USB controller> mem 0xe8080000-0xe8080fff irq 11
at device 2.0 on pci0
usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
usb0: SMM does not respond, resetting
usb0: <OHCI (generic) USB controller> on ohci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: (0x10de) OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

If anybody wants more info please let me know.