4.8-p7 kernel panic (kld pcm related panic)

Galen Sampson galen_sampson at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 17:35:44 PDT 2003

Hello all,

I recently upgraded to freebsd 4.8-p7.  After noticing that gnome 2.4 was in
the ports tree I decided to install it.  While getting sound to work I received
a kernel panic while X was running.  Unfortunately I cannot provide a back
trace because savecore did not work (see messages below) and I do not have ddb.

This panic was most definately caused by the settings in my bios related to
PNP.  I had "PNP enabled os" set to true.  This resulted in many messages about
incorrect resource allocation (see below).  When I attemted to unload the
module the kernel paniced.  After setting "PNP enabled os" to false this is a
non issue, but someone might want to fix it.

regards,
Galen

P.S.  How can I fix savecore?  I have two ide drives, and a swap partition on
each drive (each swap partition is the same size).

# See the fstab(5) manual page for important information on automatic mounts
# of network filesystems before modifying this file.
#
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad2s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0

pcm related messages:

Sep 19 11:29:05 amnesiac /kernel: pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371-A> irq 11 at device
12.0 on pci0
Sep 19 11:29:05 amnesiac /kernel: pcm0: unable to map register space
Sep 19 11:29:05 amnesiac /kernel: device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned
6
Sep 19 11:29:05 amnesiac /kernel: pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371-A> irq 11 at device
12.0 on pci0
Sep 19 11:29:05 amnesiac /kernel: pcm0: unable to map register space
Sep 19 11:29:05 amnesiac /kernel: device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned
6
Sep 19 11:29:20 amnesiac /kernel: linkerunload: attempt to unload file that was
loaded by the kernel

Kernel paniced

after a reboot:

Sep 19 11:43:21 amnesiac savecore: reboot after panic: page fault
Sep 19 11:43:21 amnesiac savecore: /devel/freebsd/crash/bounds: No such file or
directory
Sep 19 11:43:21 amnesiac savecore: writing compressed core to
/devel/freebsd/crash/vmcore.0.gz
Sep 19 11:43:21 amnesiac savecore: /devel/freebsd/crash/vmcore.0.gz: Illegal
seek
Sep 19 11:43:21 amnesiac savecore: WARNING: vmcore may be incomplete