About mergemaster (Re: upgrading)

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-stable-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Mon Sep 22 11:55:30 PDT 2003

Dmitry Agafonov <aga at rsm.ru> writes:

> Most painful procedure for me is running mergemaster. Most of the job
> I'm changing 2-3 system configs, so one can see changed file simply
> comparing md5
> hash of the original file, say, in the "$MD5: " custom header (not
> including that line itself
> while calculating hash, or it will be a big trick to produce such file).
>
> How the idea?

It would be a little tricky; it would probably be easier to keep an
mtree database (thus, not modifying the files themselves for the state
information) and track the default ones themselves.  Other people have
had this basic idea before, but none of them have implemented it, as
far as I can see from the PR database.  The mergemaster author didn't
especially like the idea, because he thinks people ought to know how
their computers are configured.

I'll be happy to take a look at your patches when you get it working.