4.9 stability update

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Mon Sep 22 02:07:33 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:18:18AM +0300, Aleksey Ovcharenko wrote:
> Ok, how about dirhash problem http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=51016
This problem predates PAE in -stable, just in case there is any confusion.

> It's still same even on 4.9-PRERELEASE. On high load with ~4k virtual users on
> mail server with ufs_dirhash turned on it cause kernel panic.

I remember looking at this for you before, and it looked tricky to
resolve. It had many of the traits of a hardware problem or a general
memory corruption problem. It wasn't clear to me if dirhash was the
problem or just detecting it.

Did I suggested running with "sysctl vfs.ufs.dirhash_docheck=1"?
It might change the panic to be closer to when the corruption occurs.
If you can give me access to the vmcore and debugging kernel you
have, I can have another look, but I'm not optimistic.

	David.