upgrading

Alban Hertroys dalroi at solfertje.student.utwente.nl
Sun Sep 21 08:47:00 PDT 2003

On 21 Sep, Matthew Seaman hit a keyboard in the following places:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 01:13:11PM +0200, Alban Hertroys wrote:

> Doing an installworld before you've verified that the kernel is
> properly bootable could get you stuck up a gum tree -- there's no easy
> way to undo a 'make installworld' and you'ld probably be forced to
> recover the system from backup.  However, you don't want the system to
> boot all the way up to multiuser immediately as that would give you a
> new kernel and an old world.  Hence the reboot into single user step.

Aha, thanks. Good to know I've been doing this the wrong way.

> You can't pick up any NFS mounts in single user -- the network hasn't
> been configured yet.  But, yes, some people will want to be extra

It won't mount them, true, but it will try. You'll be waiting for a
network timeout unnecessarily... That's why I advised not to mount NFS
mountpoints. Not because it would do any actual harm.

--

Alban Hertroys                      http://solfertje.student.utwente.nl