upgrading

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Sep 21 08:31:20 PDT 2003

On Sunday 21 September 2003 05:02 am, Claus Guttesen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> > One tip that's pretty useful is to stick the
> > 'KERNCONF=MILOWARE' bit
> > into your /etc/make.conf file.  That way you
> > don't need to keep typing it on the command
> > line.
>
> Very usefull, I often (mis)spell COMPAQ with COMPQ and
> it goes on building GENERIC instead. Thanks.

I use a script because of the tee. The script looks like

# cat inkernel
#! /bin/sh
cd /usr/src
make installkernel KERNCONF=TOPAZ 2>&1 | tee
/var/log/build/ikernel-`date "+%Y%m%d-%H%M"`.log

The make line is all 1 line but kmail is folding it. I have one for
mkworld, mkkernel, inkernel, and inworld. I figured that mistyping a
script name was immediately noticeable and nothing would start until I
corrected my mistake.

I added the ../build directory to /var/log and log the entire update
process. It is a 1.5 GB fs and I have to clean up once in awhile. Since
they accumulate, you can see how far along the build is by adding
aliases that look like

alias llbk      'll /var/log/build/bk*'
alias llbw      'll /var/log/build/bw*'

Kent