upgrading

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Sep 21 03:49:34 PDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 08:19:31PM +1000, Jacob wrote:
> A few different people have told me different ways here, don't wanna risk
> screwing it up.
>
> I cvsupped with stable-supfile and ports-supfile, now I'm doing make
> buildworld. Now, the way I was going to do it was after the buildworld, make
> buildkernel KERNCONF=MILOWARE, then make installkernel=MILOWARE, then a
> restart. After that doing make installworld then mergemaster.
>
> Is this right?

Pretty much.

The generally accepted sequence is:

    # make buildworld buildkernel KERNCONF=MILOWARE

(or you can do those as separate make commands if you wish: makes no
difference either way.)

    # make installkernel KERNCONF=MILOWARE
    # shutdown -r now

(wait for the system to start coming back up, and interrupt the boot
process at the 10 second countdown by hitting the 'any' key... Now,
boot into single user mode. 'ok' is the prompt from the boot manager,
which should give you a warm'n'cozy feeling if you're used to Sun
hardware...)

    ok boot -s

(Various output will scroll past.  When prompted for what shell to
run, just hit return)

    # fsck -p
    # swapon -a
    # mount -a
    # cd /usr/src
    # make installworld
    # mergemaster
    # reboot

Et voila.

One tip that's pretty useful is to stick the 'KERNCONF=MILOWARE' bit
into your /etc/make.conf file.  That way you don't need to keep typing
it on the command line.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way