Mail selection options in sysinstall(8).

Rick Updegrove freebsdstable at updegrove.net
Fri Sep 19 12:02:20 PDT 2003

Tom Rhodes wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>This is just a quick note that the MTA installation options in
>sysinstall(8) has changed.  Users now have the option of choosing
>between Sendmail, Postfix, and Exim.
>
>Due to legal issues, qmail was not added to the selection.  Sorry.

Could you please elaborate on these "legal issues"?

http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html  says

If you want to distribute modified versions of qmail (including ports,
no matter how minor the changes are) you'll have to get my approval.
This does not mean approval of your distribution method, your
intentions, your e-mail address, your haircut, or any other irrelevant
information. It means a detailed review of the exact package that you
want to distribute.

Exception: You are permitted to distribute a precompiled var-qmail
package <var-qmail.html> if (1) installing the package produces
/exactly/ the same /var/qmail hierarchy as a user would obtain by
downloading, compiling, and installing qmail-1.03.tar.gz,
fastforward-0.51.tar.gz, and dot-forward-0.71.tar.gz; (2) the package
behaves correctly, i.e., the same way as normal
qmail+fastforward+dot-forward installations on all other systems; and
(3) the package's creator warrants that he has made a good-faith attempt
to ensure that the package behaves correctly. It is not acceptable
<../compatibility.html> to have qmail working differently on different
machines; any variation is a bug. If there's something about a system
(compiler, libraries, kernel, hardware, whatever) that changes qmail's
behavior, then that platform is /not/ supported, and you are /not/
permitted to distribute binaries.