Mail selection options in sysinstall(8).

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 19 11:32:12 PDT 2003

On 19-Sep-2003 Chris Pressey wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:53:49 +0100
> Ceri Davies <setantae at submonkey.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 10:51:44AM -0700, Chris Pressey wrote:

>> > I quite agree.  Quoting http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html :
>> >
>> > "You are permitted to distribute a precompiled var-qmail package if
>> > (1) installing the package produces exactly the same /var/qmail
>> > hierarchy as a user would obtain by downloading, compiling, and
>> > installing qmail-1.03.tar.gz, fastforward-0.51.tar.gz, and
>> > dot-forward-0.71.tar.gz;(2) the package behaves correctly, i.e., the
>> > same way as normal qmail+fastforward+dot-forward installations on
>> > all other systems; and(3) the package's creator warrants that he has
>> > made a good-faith attempt to ensure that the package behaves
>> > correctly."
>> >
>> > Frankly I'd be surprised if a package built straight from the qmail
>> > port didn't meet these requirements.
>>
>> If I installed a package that put itself in /var simply because the
>> guy who wrote it says that's where it should be (on my system!), then
>> I wouldn't be best pleased.  Enough said.
>
> But that's not an argument for denying it to other users, who quite
> possibly agree that it should go into /var, or who simply don't care
> overmuch where it goes.

Most FreeBSD packages do allow you to use an arbitray prefix.  See
pkg_add(8) for more info.  The debate seems to be that djb@ doesn't
want any precompiled packages to have that flexibility for whatever
reason.  If djb@ doesn't want qmail to be widely deployed then thats
his problem I guess. :)