Compaq Proliant 5000 SMP won't boot

Rick Updegrove freebsdstable at updegrove.net
Fri Sep 19 11:32:39 PDT 2003

Hi,

I am attempting to get SMP working on this Compaq Proliant 5000 with
FreeBSD 4.9 STABLE but it stops booting at

"Programming 28 pins in IOAPIC #1"

I have included dmesg, the stable-supfile and the SMP kernel conf file
here:  http://12.246.251.12

(The dmesg I have provided obviously doesn't contain the above message
because I don't know a way to capture it and get it to the list because
it won't boot)

The SMP file has the following lines commented out so I could get it
booted again.  If I uncomment them and recompile it won't boot : (

# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
# options APIC_IO # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

Is anyone else running one of these with 4.9-PRERELEASE ?

or

What version of FreeBSD *works* with this box?

Rick