Mail selection options in sysinstall(8).

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Fri Sep 19 11:21:07 PDT 2003

Chris Pressey <cpressey at catseye.mine.nu> writes:
> des at des.no (Dag-Erling Smørgrav) wrote:
> > No, because QMail needs patches to run correctly on FreeBSD (in fact,
> > it requires patches to run correctly on *any* system, because DJB
> > doesn't want to lose face by admitting that QMail contains bugs, and
> > therefore hasn't updated the official distribution since mid-1998).
> Could you elaborate on that?  Unless I'm mistaken, the only patches in
> /usr/ports/qmail/files are patches needed for qmail to *install*
> correctly - and all the WITH_*_PATCH options refer to optional patches.

Performance under high load will be abysmal if you leave out the
bigqueue patches, and you may also want to increase the hash size.
The latter is problematic because qmail built with one hash size can't
operate on a queue generated by qmail built with a different hash
size, so you need to be very careful when upgrading.  I don't believe
the port allows you to change the hash size, though...

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no