4.9 stability update

Peter Radcliffe pir at pir.net
Fri Sep 19 06:54:18 PDT 2003

Scott Long <scottl at freebsd.org> probably said:
> We'd like to get a new poll on the stability and readiness of 4.9.  The
> belief is that the last of the PAE-induced instability was resolved on
> August 31.  Is anyone still experiencing unusual crashes, corruption,
> etc, on a system that is running with up-to-date sources?

All my desktop -STABLE machines seem to be happy.

My laptop, not so much. I posted about some of it's issues a couple of
days ago and then re-cvsuped and cleaned out all the locations of
compiled kernel code and /usr/obj to make double sure I was running
with consistant and up to date code. Now I'm waiting to see if it
crashes again (usually takes a few days to panic).

I can switch from X to a vty without panicing the machine now, but
sometimes (particularly if Mozilla is running) switching to a text vty
will kill XF86;

  Error in I830WaitLpRing(), now is 119653913, start is 119651912
  pgetbl_ctl: 0x3ff60001 pgetbl_err: 0x19
  ipeir: 0 iphdr: 0
  LP ring tail: 12560 head: 0 len: 0 start 0
  eir: 0 esr: 10 emr: ffff
  instdone: ffc0 instpm: 0
  memmode: 108 instps: 0
  hwstam: ffff ier: 0 imr: ffff iir: 0
  space: 55960 wanted 131064

  Fatal server error:
  lockup

  xdm error (pid 193): Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly: 1

but this appears to be i830 specific.

I'll post more if I get another panic to work with ...

P.

--
pir