portupgrade with many old ports

Clemens Fischer ino-qc at spotteswoode.de.eu.org
Fri Sep 19 05:15:33 PDT 2003

* 2003-09-15 Scott Lambert:

> On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 01:42:28PM +0200, Clemens Fischer wrote:
>>
>> i have some ports/packages in production from the time when
>> packages didn't have ORIGIN lines in /var/db/pkg/*.  what would be
>> the best use (options) to run portupgrade(1) with?  i get lots of
>> warnings that scare me off.
>
> pkgdb -F
>
> Fixup all the ORIGINs and then use portupgrade normally.  It will be
> a pain but you only have to do it once per machine.

i'm amazed how easy this turned out to be with the help of pkgdbs
"guessing" feature, but i think the documentation needs additions.

pkgdb(1) had not escaped me, but when trying it i just wasn't prepared
and didn't know how to answer the questions.

the docs should mention what information is needed:  ports have an
ORIGIN showing where they live in the ports hierarchy; the database
records dependancies (which ports need which other ports); and samples
of every kind of question it may ask and what info pkgdb(1) needs to
have them answered in a sensible way.

it helps to know what can happen to make it fail on trying to guess
correct values:  (i) ports may not exist anymore, but other ports may
still depend on what's installed, (ii) ports may provide facilities
that no "modern" port seems to be requiring.

  clemens