Help running 'make release' w/ r/o CVSROOT

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 19 05:05:41 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 10:16:16AM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> "Scott R. Sewall" <sewall at ix.netcom.com> writes:
> > My CVS repository does not have the file val-tags.  I also don't see
> > this file on the web interface
> > to the CVS repository at freebsd.org.  How is this file created?
>
> It is created by cvs and updated every time you use a tag with -r or
> -j which isn't already listed in val-tags.  It's a major PITA, but you
> can fairly easily disable it by adding a return statement right after
> the syntax checks in tag_check_valid() (i.e. somewhere around line
> 1212) in src/contrib/cvs/src/tag.c.
>
> Another solution would be to distribute repoman's val-tags along with
> the rest of the repo, but for some reason val-tags in on cvsup's
> exclude list.

I usually create an empty val-tags file, and cvs(1) then turns an error
into a plain (but annoying) warning:

$ cvs -R -d /home/ncvs co -rRELENG_4 src/COPYRIGHT
cvs checkout: warning: cannot open /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags read/write: Read-only file system
U src/COPYRIGHT

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,