Mail selection options in sysinstall(8).

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 18 15:13:22 PDT 2003

On 2003.09.18 23:44:42 +0200, Clement Laforet wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:29:42 -0400
> Tom Rhodes <trhodes at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Tom !
>
> > This is just a quick note that the MTA installation options in
> > sysinstall(8) has changed.  Users now have the option of choosing
> > between Sendmail, Postfix, and Exim.
> >
> > Due to legal issues, qmail was not added to the selection.  Sorry.
>
> Do you think it could be a good idea to add "simple" SMTP systems like
> ssmtp or any local delivery /usr/sbin/sendmail clone ? Most of system
> act as standalone machine or satellite one (i.e. machine uses a smtp
> server on the LAN), and using a full features MTA is, for me, a little
> bit useless.

Sounds like a good idea.  Postfix and Exim were mainly chosen because we
knew them, but the code was written with the intention to support more
MTA's.

To add an extra MTA to sysinstall requires that there is a package
available, and we need to know if there is any extra steps are needed to
make it "just work" out of the box.  If you can supply this information
I can rather quickly make a patch to add another MTA to sysinstall.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team