New to stable!

Andrew J Caines A.J.Caines at halplant.com
Thu Sep 18 06:00:13 PDT 2003

Mam,

> I'm new to FreeBSD and is going to setup an server!

I'm sure you're going to have fun.

> 1. Should install appliaction through ports (as newest version)
> or should I  do it through package from releg4.freebsd.org??

Ports. This way you get to build the software with your options [see
make.conf(5) and pkgtools.conf(5)].

First install sysutils/portupgrade:

	# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade/
	# make install

Next, use portupgrade to install and update you packages, eg.

	# portupgrade --new --recursive --verbose security/sudo
	# portupgrade --new --upward-recursive --recursive --sudo \
	  --uninstall --verbose --make-env -DWITH_GTK2 www/mozilla-firebird

Note that pkgtools.conf is part of portupgrade, not the base system, and
enables you to do detailed ports configuration and leave make.conf for
global parameters.

> 2. I got kernel 4.9PRERELEASE when I use RELENG_4  in cvsup.

That's because you got your STABLE sources near to a release. The name
changes during this period before going back to "STABLE", however it's all
still the -STABLE branch. Take a look at the Release Information[1].

> Isn't that  more unstable??

More unstable than...? The STABLE branch typically works perfectly for
almost everyone almost all the time. Because the code does change,
occasionally things break - usually at build rather than run time. You're
already subscribed to the right list, so you should have a good idea if
anyone is experiencing any problems.

> Isn't better if I just change to RELENG_4_8 foir nwo until 4.9 gets a
> stable snapshot???

No. The "security" branches exist for folks who install RELEASEs and don't
want to track -STABLE to get critical fixes. Stick with STABLE.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html

-Andrew-