Large memory issues on 4-STABLE

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon Sep 15 11:51:27 PDT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Irvine Short wrote:

> Thanks for the definitive reply!

You're quite welcome.

> > > This is relevant to the work we're doing - some of my users actually
> > > really do need this amount of memory.
> >
> > If this is the case then you should consider a 64 bit architecture, like
> > ia64, sparc64, or amd64 (Opteron).
>
> Aah, but at the mo the 32bit systems are way way cheaper...

Not for long.  Opteron systems are even now quite price-competitive with
i386, although I don't know the availability for people outside the US.  I
can go to a local computer shop and buy dual Opteron server boards and
processors and not pay much more than for a nice Xeon system, and the
workstation class stuff will be out Real Soon Now.