4.9-20030914-PRERELEASE hangs during boot

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Sun Sep 14 12:01:24 PDT 2003

> Try rolling back to a build previous to 9/10; theres a commit in ata that
> is causing long delays during probe in some systems and hangs in others.
>
> 9/9 would be a good pick.
>
> That or revert sys/dev/ata/ata-lowlevel.c to rev 1.10.

The only place I know to find builds in the stable branch is
ftp://releng4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386
and the next earlier build there is from 8/10.

I am not set up to cvsup the stable branch and I don't know how
to revert to a specific rev of the ata driver.  (sorry)

I can add just a little more diagnostic information.
I tried booting the kernel with the -v option and got a couple
of more lines out of the autoconfiguration monologue:

atapci1: <Generic PCI ATA controller> port 0xd000-0xd00f,0xcc00-0xcc03,0xc800-0xc807,0xc400-0xc403,0xc000-0xc007 irq 5 at device 31.2 on pci 0
ata-: ata2 exists, using next available unit number
ata2: iobase=0xc000 altiobase=0xc402 bmaddr=0xd000

At this time my goal is not to find a way to boot and use this particular
release but to make sure the right people are aware of the problem and to
offer any assistance I can in figuring it out.

I don't know how to report 4.9-PRERELEASE problems.  I am guessing that
the people who are working on the release are reading freebsd-stable.
(I gather that one of the purposes of this mailing list is communication
between people running the STABLE branch, either via cvsup or snapshots.)

Dan Strick
strick at covad.net