portupgrade, was Re: Need to build some systems this week. Snapshots?

Clemens Fischer ino-qc at spotteswoode.de.eu.org
Sat Sep 13 05:42:03 PDT 2003

* 2003-08-31 Wes Peters:

> They can get a freshened package anytime anyone on the whole planet
> builds one for them, including themselves.  It's really not that
> difficult to run CVSup and then 'portupgrade', it really isn't.

i have some ports/packages in production from the time when packages
didn't have ORIGIN lines in /var/db/pkg/*.  what would be the best use
(options) to run portupgrade(1) with?  i get lots of warnings that
scare me off.

the old packages/ports come from freebsd-4.6, and i'm currently
tracking releng4.

another related question:  part of the installed software belongs to a
custom system using dan bernstein products.  some of it are old ports
that i had to upgrade from recent CVS-releases.  can i just delete the
related directories in var/db/pkg/ and force a rebuilt of the
database?

a good way for me to recover would really be to just delete the
database entries somehow, but without deleting the installed files.
this is especially easy for me, because i always carefully check a
ports Makefile, the pkg-* files to make sure that i know where the
ports files get installed, and i always log the entire "make install"
in a Readme file.

  clemens