recent stability problems with fxp driver

Info Account info at PerryResearch.com
Fri Sep 12 16:11:54 PDT 2003

I don't know what the deal is, I am starting to lean towards a hardware issue
with 4.9-PRE with these motherboards I am using (Tyan dual proc and single proc
PIII's).  I swapped out NICs again today, this time an xl on one and dc on the
other, now when doing a big scp I am getting the following error:

isconnecting: Corrupted MAC on input.
lost connection

This was roughly the same error I got last time, but now without the kernel
panic.  I've tried everything today, swapped switches, connected the machines
back to back with just a crossover cable, and invariably the same error occurs.
 Sniffing the link shows just a push from the remote end, then finishes up with
a FIN - nothing more, the machine initiating the scp is what gives the error.
I've reflashed the BIOS on all these mobos with the latest rev, reset hardware
config on each reboot, disabled power management etc, all with the same results.
 It's looking like I'm going to have to move over to Linux for a few boxes here,
as stability is pretty bad and I'm out of ideas.

Quoting John Polstra <jdp at polstra.com>:

> The problem is real, at least on some hardware.  I had to give up on
> using the two integrated fxp devices on my Dell 1550 -- which is a
> real bummer, since it's a 1U box that only has two PCI slots.  With
> the latest -stable driver, I couldn't fetch a 560 MB file from

[snip]

> fully up-to-date.  I have a suspicion that our driver may not be
> dealing properly with Dell's power management or IPMI stuff, but it's
> just a vague suspicion without any real evidence.
>
> John

Perry Research, Inc.
5450 Bruce B. Downs Blvd #313
Wesley Chapel, FL 33543