is stable stable yet?

Michael L. Squires mikes at siralan.org
Fri Sep 12 10:46:11 PDT 2003

> My machine has been rebooting silently (no panic or anything) every 24-36 hours since
> about two weeks ago.  It wasn't doing that before then.

I had that problem with a kernel built on 8/20 but it has vanished with
4.9-PRERELEASE compiled on 9/9.  8/20 is within the period where there
was a known bug in the kernel (see /usr/src/UPDATING).

There were no log messages about the crashes; when I enabled saving core
files I saw a "page fault" message.

I'm running 4.9-PRERELEASE from 9/9 on a SM P6DLH with one CPU and
a SM P6DGH with two CPUs.

Mike Squires