recent stability problems with fxp driver

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Fri Sep 12 10:43:10 PDT 2003

At 12:26 PM 12/09/2003, Info Account wrote:
>I've spent the past four days or so updating machines here to 4.8/9-stable via
>cvsup, and have done a complete make buildworld/kernel on each machine (some
>SMP, some single processor).  It seems something is broken with the latest fxp
>driver, on each machine (different mobos and hardware configs) heavy network
>traffic with fxp NICs causes timeouts and random kernel panics.

I have a few boxes pushing over 50Mb with fxp cards and havent seen this
problem.  What type of fxp cards do you have ?  What does
  pciconf -v -l
show for the Intel types ?

Also, I have found in the past that I would see this behavior if I changed
NICs and didnt do a PCIconfig reset in the MB BIOS.  There is something
about Intel nics and Adaptec and 3ware cards that particularly require
this.  Also, make sure that you dont have some duplex mismatches on the
nics.  I have seen where excessive errors combined with high traffic will
cause panics.

Also, please post the actual error messages on each of the machines.

         ---Mike