Squid memory leaks in -stable using libc malloc

Mike Harding mvh at ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 6 08:17:22 PDT 2003

Squid uses more memory than you assign to cache_mem, this is
documented in the Squid FAQ, section 8.  cache_mem is sort of a
'suggested' value, it's normal for squid to use a lot more memory than
cache_mem.

I can vouch for squid being stable in it's memory usage when used for
months at a time, but it's not just cache_mem that affects this.

If you are happy with dmalloc, though, go ahead and use it, just check
out the squid FAQ about memory usage.  I don't think that there is
anything wrong with FreeBSD's malloc, it just has different
performance characteristics.

- Mike H.

   Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:11:08 +0200
   From: Anders Nordby <anders at fix.no>