buildkernel errors with "options SMBFS"

Daniel danielc at green-orb.com
Thu Sep 4 01:46:05 PDT 2003

Hi all... another lurker and first-time poster... if I forget something relevant please let me
know...

Anyway, have tried to make a kernel on two different machines under the latest (as of
04:37AM 4 September 2003 -0500 (EDT)) 4.9-PRERELEASE **AND** 5.1-p2 and get
the error message as shown below.  I am including (at the end) the uname-a from both
of the systems.  Each of them will compile this exact same kernel exactly right if I leave
the "options SMBFS" line out of the kernel config file.  I will happily post those files if you
deem them relevant but I am not now for space reasons.

I have tried scanning the past few weeks of archives on this list but have found nothing
particularly relevant, unless I simply missed it.

This is reproducible every time, and the same exact error in the same exact place
occurs on both the 4.9 and the 5.1 machine.

I can find no other relevant information.  The discs are not full, and I did a clean
buildworld (removed /usr/obj/* and made cleandir twice, then built the world) first.

In fact, these were attempted builds on the exact same kernel config file, without the
SMBFS option.

I'm not terribly concerned about this, as I was just going to play around with mounting
some NT exports, but it would be nice to know what is causing this.

Peace,

 -- Daniel

tail output of `makeworld -j4 buildkernel KERNCONF=DAGESH` ::

===> s3
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/kern/bus_if.m -h
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/kern/device_if.m -h
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/isa/isa_if.m -h
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/dev/pci/pci_if.m -h
rm -f .depend
mkdep -f .depend -a   -nostdinc -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -I- -I. -I@ -I@/dev -
I@/../include -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
/usr/src/sys/modules/s3/../../dev/fb/s3_pci.c
===> vesa
touch opt_vga.h
machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
touch opt_vesa.h
@ -> /usr/src/sys
rm -f .depend
mkdep -f .depend -a   -nostdinc -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -I- -I. -I@ -I@/dev -
I@/../include -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
/usr/src/sys/modules/vesa/../../i386/isa/vesa.c
/usr/src/sys/modules/vesa/../../dev/syscons/scvesactl.c
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error

END tail output

uname -a for system #1
FreeBSD chumash 4.9-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE #1: Wed Sep  3
19:45:08 EDT 2003     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CHUMASH-SMP  i386

uname -a for system #2