vinum question: how could one correctly delete vinum module?

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Fri Oct 31 10:34:10 PST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Mike Maltese wrote:

MM> > [I'm under 4-STABLE]
MM> >
MM> > What is the correct sequence to delete existing vinum module (for example,
MM> > raid10) and do *not* use -f flags for vinum?
MM> >
MM> > in my case t is raid10 vovume:
MM> >
MM> > vinum -> l -r t
MM> > V t                     State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       8191
MM> > P t.p0                S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:       8191
MM> > P t.p1                S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:       8191
MM> > S t.d0                  State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       4095
MM> > S t.d8                  State: up       PO:      260 kB Size:       4095
MM> > S t.d2                  State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       4095
MM> > S t.d10                 State: up       PO:      260 kB Size:       4095
MM> >
MM> > umount /dev/vinum/t
MM> > vinum stop t (ok)
MM> > vinum stop t.p0 <- this operation silently puts t up, and sets t.p0 faulty
MM> > vinum stop t (ok)
MM> > vinum stop t.p1
MM> >
MM> > Last comment leads to error
MM> >
MM> > Can't stop t.p1: Device busy (16)
MM> >
MM> >
MM> > Final state of objects are
MM> >
MM> > vinum -> l -r t
MM> > V t                     State: down     Plexes:       2 Size:       8191
MM> > P t.p0                S State: faulty   Subdisks:     2 Size:       8191
MM> > P t.p1                S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:       8191
MM> > S t.d0                  State: down     PO:        0  B Size:       4095
MM> > S t.d8                  State: down     PO:      260 kB Size:       4095
MM> > S t.d2                  State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       4095
MM> > S t.d10                 State: up       PO:      260 kB Size:       4095
MM> >
MM> > Any suggestions? should I dig into vinum sources to track this down?
MM>
MM> You want to wipe out your configuration completely? Use "vinum resetconfig".
MM> You will loose all of your data, but if I understand your question
MM> correctly, this is the command to use. If you want to remove individual
MM> objects, use the rm command. Take a look at the vinum man page, it is quite
MM> useful.

Well, not exactly ;-) And, yes, I'm aware of "resetconfig" command.
Possibly, I was not clear enough; I should also mention 'detach' command.
Detaching without -f option also does not work usually.

As for 'rm' command, it tends to fail in similar way ;-)

Which is worse, it at lease seems that some objects got slided and slightly
resized after multiple detach/attaches; but I should track this down more
precisely, and currently in lack of spare system.

Stay tuned ;-)

Sincerely,